June 9, 2021


Minutes of the Monson School Committee Regular Business Meeting June 9, 2021 “Pursuant to Governor Baker’s March 12, 2020 Order Suspending Certain Provisions of the Open Meeting Law, G.L. c. 30A, §18, and the Governor’s March 15, 2020 Order imposing strict limitation on the number of people that may gather in one place, this meeting of the Town of Monson School Committee will be conducted via remote participation to the greatest extent possible. Specific information and the general guidelines for remote participation by members of the public and/or parties with a right and/or requirement to attend this meeting can be found on the Town of Monson website, at www.monson-ma.gov. For this meeting, members of the public who wish to listen to the meeting may do so in the following manner: https://zoom.us/j/95938859598 Meeting ID: 959 3885 9598, no in-person attendance of members of the public will be permitted, but every effort will be made to ensure that the public can adequately access the proceedings in real time, via technological means. In the event that we are unable to do so, despite best efforts, we will post on the Town of Monson’s website an audio or video recording, transcript, or other comprehensive record of proceedings as soon as possible after the meeting. Present: Vice Chair Emily-Graves-Harrison; Secretary Kathryn Peterson; Committee Members; Colleen Flynn, Jackie Watts and Alison Morgan Also Present: Superintendent Dr. Cheryl Clarke; Director of Student Services/Early Childhood Center Suzanne Tetrault; Granite Valley School Principal Katherine Watts; Granite Valley School Assistant Principal Joe Trivisonno; Monson High School Principal William Metzger; Monson High School Assistant Principal Jill Foulis; Early Childhood Center Dean of Students/Special Education Coordinator Colette Bidus Note: This meeting was recorded using Zoom technology. Dr. Clarke called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m. She congratulated and welcomed newly elected School Committee member Alison Morgan. Dr. Clarke also congratulated Ms. Graves-Harrison who was re-elected for another 3-year term and Mr. Watts elected for a 1-year term. Ms. Morgan read the Mission & Vision Statements. Committee Reorganization: Dr. Clarke reviewed the ground rules for nominations and opened the floor for nominations for the Chair of the Committee. Motion by Ms. Peterson to nominate Ms. Flynn as Chair of the Committee. (Second by Ms. Morgan) No further nominations Dr. Clarke closed the nominations. No discussion Roll Call Vote: Ms. Morgan Yes Mr. Watts Yes

School Committee Minutes: Page 1 of 5 Regular Business Meeting-June 9, 2021


REVISED DRAFT COPY for distribution/approval at the Regular Business Meeting-November 3, 2021

Ms. Peterson Yes Ms. Graves-Harrison Yes Ms. Flynn Yes Motion carries 5-0 Dr. Clarke congratulated Ms. Flynn and turned the meeting over to her. Ms. Flynn opened the floor for nominations for Vice-Chair of the Committee. Motion by Mr. Watts to nominate Ms. Graves-Harrison as Vice Chair of the Committee. (Second by Ms. Peterson) No further nominations Ms. Flynn closed the nominations. No discussion Roll Call Vote: Ms. Morgan Yes Mr. Watts Yes Ms. Peterson Yes Ms. Graves-Harrison Yes Ms. Flynn Yes Motion carries 5-0 Ms. Flynn opened up the floor for nominations for Secretary of the Committee. Motion by Ms. Flynn to nominate Ms. Peterson as Secretary of the Committee. (Second by Ms. Graves-Harrison) No further nominations Ms. Flynn closed the nominations. No discussion Roll Call Vote: Ms. Morgan Yes Mr. Watts Yes Ms. Peterson Yes Ms. Graves-Harrison Yes Ms. Flynn Yes Motion carries 5-0 Dr. Clarke outlined the Subcommittees and explained that each Subcommittee has 2 members. The following Subcommittee appointments were made: Curriculum: Ms. Morgan (Chair) and Ms. Peterson Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: Mr. Watts (Chair) and Ms. Graves-Harrison Facilities & Long-Term Planning: Mr. Watts (Chair) and Ms. Peterson

School Committee Minutes: Page 2 of 5 Regular Business Meeting-June 9, 2021


REVISED DRAFT COPY for distribution/approval at the Regular Business Meeting-November 3, 2021

Finance: Ms. Graves-Harrison (Chair) and Ms. Morgan Human Resources & Negotiations: Ms. Flynn (Chair) and Ms. Graves-Harrison Policy: Ms. Peterson (Chair) and Ms. Flynn Dr. Clarke provided the information for Committee Liaison appointments. The following appointments were made: Early Childhood Center: Ms. Morgan Granite Valley School: Mr. Watts Monson High School: Ms. Graves-Harrison Health & Wellness: Ms. Peterson Dr. Clarke explained the responsibilities as the Chair of a Subcommittee. She will revise the list and send it to the Committee members. Announcements: June 17, 2021 is the last day of school, half-day for students. Dr. Clarke noted that End of the Year activities continue. June 10, 2021 is Community Day at the Early Childhood Center (ECC). The Police, Fire and Highway Departments will be bringing vehicles and talking about their different roles in the community. Dr. Clarke said that students have made cards to thank them for all the hard work they do. June 11, 2021 is Field Day at the ECC. Granite Valley School (GVS) is holding Field Day events starting today through Monday. Dr. Clarke thanked Mr. Pagliaro for his time in planning this great time for students. On June 16, 2021, Grade 6 will have their Last Lap send-off out on the track, including activities and awards. Monson High School (MHS) will hold a Grades 7 & 8 Awards Ceremony from 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. and Grades 9-11 from 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. There will be a live stream for parent viewing. The prom will be held on June 17, 2021 in the outdoor tent at the Publick House in Sturbridge. Subcommittee and Liaison Reports: Policy Subcommittee: Ms. Peterson gave a brief overview of the Policy change procedures. She noted that Policy DB-Annual Budget had mostly grammatical changes. She reviewed minor changes to Policy DBC-Budget Deadlines and Schedules. Ms. Peterson outlined the substantive changes to Policy DBJ-Budget Transfer Authority. Policies DGA and DKC did not require changes. Motion by Ms. Peterson to accept Policies DB, DBC, DBJ, DGA and DKC as second read and move to a third and final read. (Second by Mr. Watts) No discussion Motion carries 5-0

School Committee Minutes: Page 3 of 5 Regular Business Meeting-June 9, 2021


REVISED DRAFT COPY for distribution/approval at the Regular Business Meeting-November 3, 2021

Human Resources and Negotiations Subcommittee: Ms. Flynn reported that they met last week and she will send Ms. Graves-Harrison all upcoming meeting invites. Superintendent’s Report: Dr. Clarke stated that this year’s graduation was one of the best yet, adding that it was beautiful weather and a great day. Prior to the ceremony, awards and scholarships were given out. Senior Signing was held virtually, another successful event. There were early release days for students on June 7 and 8, 2021 due to the extreme heat and the indoor masking requirement. Staff remained to work productively in spaces that were air-conditioned. Dr. Clarke reported that there are many job postings and that the schools are in the midst of interviewing and hiring. She added that the significant GVS Assistant Principal posting has been filled by Myriah Hudak, a long-time, very dedicated teacher, team leader and curriculum coach in the district. She congratulated Ms. Hudak and welcomed her to the Administrative Leadership Team. Pooled testing will continue through the summer. A vaccine clinic was held at the high schools. Dr. Clarke stated that the roof repair has started ahead of schedule. Public Session: Ms. Flynn opened Public Session at 7:29 p.m. No one came forward to address the Committee. Ms. Flynn closed Public Session at 7:30 p.m. Action Items: Schedule Negotiations Subcommittee meetings on June 15, 2021, 7:00 & 8:00 p.m. Ms. Flynn will speak to Unit Representatives about the possibility of speeding up the process. Other Subcommittees will hold on scheduling meetings until the end of summer. Dr. Clarke will reach out to the Subcommittee Chair in the event that a meeting needs to be held. Discussion was held regarding upcoming Regular Business Meetings; no hybrid model, meetings must be held in person, per state regulation by the Attorney General. Ms. Graves-Harrison stated that there is better participation from the public when the meetings are held via Zoom, she’d like to see that continue. Dr. Clarke noted that the new School Committee Room has more space. Ms. Flynn added that she hopes that community engagement continues when in person meetings return. She would like to express her feelings about a hybrid model to state legislators. Next Regular Business Meeting will be July 7, 2021. According to the State Board, if a Committee member would like to participate remotely, the Chair of the Committee and a quorum must be present in person. A discussion was held on placement of Public Session on the Agenda. Ms. Graves-Harrison would like it placed before anything that may be voted on at a meeting. This will be put on the next Agenda for further discussion. Ms. Graves-Harrison noted that per Town Clerk Mary Watson, Public Session does not need to appear as an item on the Regular Business Meeting Agenda. Ms. Flynn expressed her gratitude to former School Committee Chair Mr. Lord who was a friend and mentor to her. She thanked him for his tireless and unwavering commitment to the students, staff and families of the district. She said that she was honored to pick up where he left off ensuring the

School Committee Minutes: Page 4 of 5 Regular Business Meeting-June 9, 2021


REVISED DRAFT COPY for distribution/approval at the Regular Business Meeting-November 3, 2021

district continues to move forward striving for greater heights. Mr. Lord’s contributions to the community cannot be overstated and he will be greatly missed. Motion by Mr. Watts to adjourn Open Session. (Second by Ms. Peterson) No discussion Motion carries 5-0 Open Session closed at 7:49 p.m. Documentation for this meeting: June 9, 2021-Regular Business/Reorganization Meeting Agenda Distributed at meeting: N/A Approved by Committee: ________________________________________ Kathryn Peterson, Secretary


June 9, 2021-Regular Business Meeting
.pdf
Download PDF • 284KB

Recent Posts

See All

DRAFT COPY for distribution/ at the Regular Business Meeting-August 10, 2022 Minutes of the Monson School Committee Regular Business Meeting July 13, 2022 Hybrid Model Members of the public who

DRAFT COPY for distribution/ at the Regular Business Meeting-July 13, 2022 Minutes of the Monson School Committee Re-Organization/Regular Business Meeting Quarry Hill Community School – School Commit

DRAFT COPY for distribution/ at the Regular Business Meeting-June 23, 2022 Minutes of the Monson School Committee Regular Business Meeting June 9, 2022 Hybrid Model Members of the public who wis