Update regarding Remote Learning

Good morning, everyone – I write this morning with an update. Yesterday afternoon the Town of Monson was placed into the high-risk category for the spread of COVID-19 by the Department of Public Health. We had anticipated this, and that is why we postponed in-person attendance at school until September 21. After reviewing the data and much discussion, last night the School Committee unanimously voted to remain fully remote until further notice. There will be weekly meetings on Wednesdays at 7:00 p.m. so that the Committee may analyze the metrics and trends in a consistent, clear manner, and use this data to inform their decisions moving forward. There was also a discussion regarding athletics, as the fall season is scheduled to begin September 18. The Committee tabled any decision with respect to athletics until next Wednesday, September 16. The Department of Public Health updates their data every Wednesday, so the Committee will have the most recent numbers to guide their discussion at that time. We understand this decision may pose a challenge for some families with respect to child care, but we wanted to give you as much advance notice as possible so that you may plan accordingly. We will be sure to keep you updated as we navigate the ever-evolving challenges posed to us by this pandemic. As always, our main focus is the health and safety of everyone in our school community. Should you have any questions, please reach out to your building administration or me at any time. Sincerely, Cheryl A. Clarke